"BEXLEY-HEATH, a chapelry in the parish of Bexley, hundred of Ruxley, and lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 2 miles from Bexley, and 12 S.E. from London. It is a rapidly increasing village, pleasantly situated on the London and Dover road, which commands extensive views over a very picturesque country. There is a market-house in the centre of the village, recently erected, and a police station. The chapel of ease is annexed to the vicarage of Bexley, in the diocese of Canterbury. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Independents have chapels here. There are National schools for boys, girls, and infants, the two last with residences for teachers. The south side of Welling is in the parish of Bexley; and a mixed National school is maintained there also. The market is held on Saturday.
"BLENDON, a hamlet in the parish of Bexley, and hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 3 miles to the E. of Dartford. Blendon Hall is the principal residence."
"BRIDGEND, a hamlet in the parish of Bexley, and hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 3 miles to the W. of Dartford. It is not far from the North Kent railway."
"DANSON PARK, in the parish of Bexley, county of Kent, 3 miles S.E. of Woolwich. It was formerly the property of Archbishop Parker; and was afterwards laid out by Brown for the Boyds, who erected the house which now stands there."
"LAMB-ABBEY, (or Lamorbey), a hamlet and ecclesiastical district in the hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 4 miles S.E. of Woolwich, and 11 E. of London. It is situated near the Thames, and anciently belonged to the Lamienbys and Sparrows. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £100. The principal residence is Lamorbey House, rebuilt in 1744.
"UPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Bexley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 2 miles S.W. of Dartford."
"WELLING, a village partly in the parish of Bexley, hundred of Roxley, and partly in that of East Wickham, hundred of Lessness, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 2½ miles N.W. of Crayford, and 3 S.E. of Woolwich. It is a modern village, situated on the main road from London to Canterbury and Dover. There is a free school, founded and endowed by Forster, with £70 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bexley to another place.
Click here for a list of nearby places.