"BOUGHTON-UNDER-BLEAN, a parish in the hundred of Boughton-under-Blean, lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, 3 miles to the S.E. of Faversham, its post town, and 7 W. of Canterbury. The London, Chatham, and Dover railway passes near it. The village is near Blean Forest, once the haunt of wild beasts, and Boughton Hill, the view from which is considered one of the finest in England. There are hop-grounds in the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, of the value of £300, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, and stands about a mile from the village. It has two chantries attached to it, and contains some brasses and family monuments. The tower had a spire till about 1600, when it fell down. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village, which was built in 1844, and has a spire. The parochial charities are worth about £70 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]