"BOUGHTON MONCHELSEA, a parish in the hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, in the county of Kent, 3 miles to the S.E. of Maidstone, its post town. It lies on the north border of the Weald. Ragstone is quarried on the hills which cross the parish, and hops are grown. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, of the value of £395, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and is a neat modern structure, built in 1832 to replace the old one, which was destroyed by fire. There are charitable endowments producing £9 per annum. The principal residence is Boughton Place, which stands in a well-wooded park, it is at present occupied by T. Rider, Esq., who is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]