"BRABOURNE, a parish in the franchise and barony of Bircholt, lathe of Shepway, in the county of Kent, 6 miles to the E. of Ashford, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Westerhanger railway station. It is an ancient place, and had once the privilege of a market. The manor was held by Aylmer de Valence. The land is partly laid out in hop-grounds, and the soil is wet and clayey. There is a large rabbit-warren at Brabourne Lees, near which are extensive cavalry and infantry barracks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, of the value with the rectory of Monk's Horton consolidated, of £320, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is in the early English style, and is dedicated to St. Mary. It contains several ancient monuments, among which are those of the Scott family, to whom the manor belonged. A fine yew-tree, nearly 60 feet in girth, is mentioned by Evelyn as standing in this churchyard in his day. The tithes have been commuted for £270, with rectorial rent-charge of £613. There is a Baptist chapel. The parochial charities amount to £8 per annum. An annual pleasure fair is held in the village on the 31st May."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]