"BREDGAR, a parish in the hundred of Milton, and lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, 3 miles to the S. of Sittingbourn, its post town, which is a station on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, of the value of £180, in the patronage of Sir E. Dering, Bart. The church, which is an ancient building with a Saxon entrance, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and contains a monumental brass. It had formerly a small college attached, which was founded about 1400, and was given at the reformation to the Archbishop of Canterbury. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, a small free school endowed with £5 a year, and several other charitable endowments, producing about £23 a year."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]