"BROMLEY, a parish and market town in the hundred of Bromley and Beckenham, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 10 miles to the S.E. of London, and 42 from Sydenham. It is a station on the London and Bickley branch of the South-Eastern railway, and also on the Dover and Chatham line. The parish is situated in a pleasant country on the banks of the Ravensbourne, and has been a possession of the see of Rochester for above a thousand years, the manor having been given to the bishop by Ethelbert, King of Kent, in the 8th century. The possession was interrupted, but only for a short time, by Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, who seized and held the manor after the Conquest, till 1076. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]