"BUCKLAND, a parish in the hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 2 miles to the N.W. of Dover, its post town. The London, Chatham, and Dover railway passes near it. The parish is situated in a hilly country on the river Dour, here crossed by a bridge, and was the site of a hospital for lepers, founded about 1140 by the monks of the Benedictine priory at Dover. There are no remains of the building, but ancient silver coins have been dug up near its site. In the village are a flour-mill and two paper-mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, worth £139, in the gift of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyans."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]