"CANTERBURY, comprises the parishes of All Saints, St. Mary-in-the-Castle, St. Mildred, St. Alphage, St. Mary Northgate, St. Andrew, St. Mary Bredman, St. George the Martyr, St. Mary Magdelene, St. George the Great, St. Margaret, St. Martin, St. Paul, St. Mary Bredin, St. Peter, Holy Cross, and St. Dunstan. It is a cathedral city, being the seat of the primacy of England, a municipal and parliamentary borough, and a county of itself, locally situated in the hundred of Bridge and Petham, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, but exercising an independent jurisdiction. It is 16 miles distant from Dover and Margate respectively, and 55¼ miles S.E. from London, or 65 miles by the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, on which it is a station. It is also a station on the Ramsgate branch of the South-Eastern railway. Another branch of the same railway connects the city with the port of Whitstable, which is 6 miles off on the Thames side; while Fordwich, 3 miles below on the Stour, serves as its river port, though now but little used. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]