"CHALLOCK, (or Challock Lees), a parish in the hundred of Felborough, lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, 4 miles N. of Ashford, its post town, and 4 N.W. of the Wye station on the South-Eastern railway. It is situated between Ashford and Feversham, on the high road, near the river Stour, which bounds the parish on the E. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Godmersham, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to SS. Cosmus and Damien, is an ancient structure with embattled tower. The charities amount to £5 per annum. Here are free schools for both sexes. The register commences in 1600. In the vicinity is Eastwell Park, the seat of the Earl of Winchilsea. There is an annual cattle fair held on the 8th October."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]