"CHARLTON, a parish in the hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent. It is situated 1 mile inland, within the borough of Dover, on the river Dour. Many houses have recently been built, connecting the village with Dover, of which it will shortly become-a fashionable suburb. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £93, in the patronage of Rev. John Monins. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, was-rebuilt in 1827, and is a cruciform structure. There are National schools for both sexes. The hospital for the borough of Dover is situated in this parish. It is supposed by some that this was the Roman Portus Dubris, anchors and portions of ships having been dug up here."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]