"CHARLTON-NEXT-WOOLWICH, a parish and suburban London district, in the hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 1 mile from Woolwich, and 6 miles E.S.E. of London. It is a railway station on the North Kent line, and is pleasantly situated near the river Thames. In the neighbourhood are Blackheath, Woolwich Common, and Greenwich Park. Much of the land is under cultivation as market gardens. This village was anciently a market town, and is the Cerletone of Domesday Book. It was presented to the abbey of Bermondsey by William II., and afterwards came to the Newton, Langhorne, Ducie, and Maryon families. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London, value £600, in the patronage of Sir T. M. Wilson, Bart. There are also three other churches in this parish-that of St. Thomas, a perpetual curacy, value £300, in the patronage of Sir T. M. Wilson, Bart.; Blackheath Park Chapel, in the gift of J. Cater, Esq. and St. Germain's Chapel, Blackheath. The parish church, dedicated to St. Luke, is a plain brick structure, and was built in 1640 by Sir Adam Newton. It contalns monuments of the Newton, Langhorne, Ducie, and Maryon families, and among others one to Mr. Drummond, secretary to Sir Robert Peel, who was shot by McNaghten in 1843. It is remarkable that Charlton is also the burial-place of the Right Hon. Spencer Percival, assassinated by Bellingham in 1812. The charities amount to about £80. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there are-National schools for both sexes. Charlton House, built by Inigo Jones in 1616, and since enlarged, is a fine mansion, now the seat of Sir Thomas M. Wilson, Bart; in front of it is a row of cypress trees, said to have been the first planted in England. It contains some fine decorations and valuable portraits. The ceiling of the saloon is as left by Inigo Jones, who painted it for Sir Adam Newton, the tutor of Prince Henry. In an adjoining apartment is a chimney-piece of black marble, so highly polished that tradition asserts Lord Downes to have seen reflected in it a robbery committed on Shooter's Hill, or, according to Lysons, at Blackheath. A fair for horn goods, &c., is held on St. Luke's Day, at which formerly a burlesque procession was formed, and passed from Deptford, through Greenwich, to Charlton, each person wearing some ornament of horn on his head; but it became a nuisance, and was suppressed by Sir Thomas S. Wilson. The greater part of Woolwich Common lies within this parish."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]