"COLDRED, a parish in the hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 5 miles N.W. of Dover, its post town and railway station. It is spelled Colret in Domesday Book, and is supposed to have been named after Ceolred, King of Mercia, who fought a battle here with Ina of Wessex. The living is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage of Shepherdswell, in the diocese of Canterbury, and in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Pancras, is a small structure, situated on the site of a Roman or Saxon camp covering two acres. Tradition relates that this camp was formed by Ceolred, but Roman remains have been found in the vicinity, and recently, whilst making a road, a well above 300 feet deep was discovered."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]