"COOLING, (or Cowling), a parish in the hundred of Shamwell, Aylesford lathe, in the county of Kent, 3 miles from the Higham station of the North Kent line, and 6 N. of Rochester, its post town. It is situated near the Thames, and a larfe portion of the land is marsh. This parish was called by the Saxons Cullinges, and belonged to Duke Eadulf; it afterwards came to the Cobham family, who erected a castle here in the reign of Richard II., and which was besieged in Mary's reign by Sir Thomas Wyatt. The towers and walls of the castle are still standing, although in a ruinous condition. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester, value £600, in the patronage of J. Alliston, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. James, is a small ancient structure, with tower, and contains a double piscina, and brasses from 1508."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]