"CUDHAM, (or Cowdham), a parish in the hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 5½ miles S.E. of Bromley, its post town, and 3 S.W. of Farnborough, at which latter place both the London and South-Western and the South-Eastern railways have stations. The village, which is small, was once a market town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £306, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient flint and brick structure, and contains a brass of 1503. The charities amount to £5 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. T. Lightfoot, Esq., is lord of the manor. Horsted, Aperfield, Cackets, Norods, Newbarn, Skidhill, and Bombast are places here."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]