"DARENTH, a parish in the hundred of Axton, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 21 miles S.E. of Dartford, and 1 mile from the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. It is situated on the river Darenth, which abounds with trout. The manor was given in A.D. 940 to the abbots-of Canterbury, and in 1190 was exchanged with Rochester Abbey for Lambeth. Vestiges of the cell dedicated to St. Margaret still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester, value £339, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a small edifice, partly Saxon, and contains a curiously-carved font. The charities amount to £22 per annum. There is also a Wesleyan chapel and a National school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]