"DARTFORD, a parish, market and petty sessions town, in the hundred of Axton, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 17 miles from London, and 7 miles from Gravesend. It has a station on the North-Kent railway. The town is pleasantly situated in a valley between two hills, on the river Darenth, from which it derives its name. In Domesday it is written Tarentefort. It gives the title of viscount to the Earl of Jersey. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dartford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dartford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ543739 (Lat/Lon: 51.443078, 0.218838), Dartford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)