"DAVINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, half a mile N.W. of Faversham, and 6½ miles W. of Whitstable. It is close to Davington Hill, where there are still remains of the Benedictine nunnery, founded in 1153 by Fulk do Newnham. It is supposed to have been a Roman station, and Roman coins, urns, &c., have been found. There is a large powder-mill. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £100 in the patronage of T. Willement, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is partly in the Norman style of architecture, with a fine doorway, and once formed part of the Benedictine nunnery."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]