"DEAL, a parish, market town, seaport, and municipal borough, in the hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, in the E. division of the county of Kent. It is distant from London 102 miles by the South-Eastern railway, or 74 by road, and 18 miles E.S.E. of Canterbury. It is situated in 51° 14' N. lat., and 1° 23' E. long. Near this spot Julius Caesar is believed to have landed on his first invasion of Britain, in 55 B.C. but no mention is made of any town existing here till several centuries after the Romans had quitted Britain, unless the Dola of Nennius be, as Camden supposes, the same as Deal, which is spelled Dela by Leland. In 1229 it was annexed to the Cinque Ports as a member of Sandwich, and so continued until 1699, when it was made independent. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]