"DETLING, a parish in the hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, in the county of Kent, 8 miles S. of Rochester, and 3 N.E. of Maidstone. It is situated on the old pilgrims' road from Rochester to Canterbury, and was the seat of the Debtlings and the Polhills, whence it was called Polley Street. Large quantities of hops are grown, and lime is extensively burnt for manure. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £195, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a small edifice, and contains a beautiful old lectern. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £158, and the vicarial for £190 per annum. A new vicarage-house was built in 1831. The charities amount to £8 per annum. There is an endowed National school. J. S. Rugg, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]