"DODDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Teynham, lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, 6 miles S.E. of Sittingbourne, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Faversham station on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. The village is small. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £257, in the patronage of the Arch-deacon of Canterbury. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style of architecture, is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Some years ago, whilst undergoing repairs, a full-length portrait of Henry III. in fresco was discovered on the wall, in good preservation. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel. Colonel Tyler is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]