"DOVER, a market town, municipal and parliamentary borough, comprising the parishes of St. James and St. Mary, in the lower half hundred of Bewsboro', lathe of St. Augustine, in the county of Kent, 72 miles from London, 40 from Maidstone, and 15 from Canterbury. It is a terminus of the South-Eastern, and the London, Chatham, and Dover railways. This port is one of great antiquity. By the Britons it was called Dwfyrrha, "a steep place;" by the Romans Debris; and by the Saxons Dofra or Dofris. Prince Arthur is supposed to have held his court here. It was anciently walled, both by Severus and King Widred, and had ten gates. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]