"EAST FARLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 2 miles S.W. of Maidstone, its post town. It is a station on the Maidstone branch of the South-Eastern railway. The village is situated on the river Medway, which is here crossed by a stone bridge of five arches. The parish, which includes the hamlet of Coxheath, from its fertility has been styled the Garden of Kent. It is famous for its orchards and hop-grounds, comprising upwards of 580 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £858, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is an ancient structure of stone, with handsome octagonal spire. There is a National school for boys and girls."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]