"EAST MALLING, a parish in the hundred of Larkfield, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 3 miles S.W. of Aylesford, and 5 W. of Maidstone, its post town. It contains the hamlet of Larkfield. Hops are grown here in considerable quantities. The river Medway bounds the parish on the N. The two paper mills give employment to a number of the people. Brickmaking is carried on. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1805, and has since been exchanged for a rent-charge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, of the value with the curacy of New Hythe annexed, of £757. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient stone structure with a tower. There are almshouses for five poor widows, with an annuity of £12 to each, founded by Elizabeth Smith. There is an endowed National school for both sexes, for which a new building has been recently erected. Clare House and Bradbourne House are the principal residences. A fair is held on the 15th July for pedlery."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]