"EAST SUTTON, a parish in the hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 4 miles N. of Headcorn railway station on the South-Eastern line, 5 N.E. of Staplehurst, its post town, and 6 S.E. of Maidstone. The parish is crossed by the ridge of hills bounding the Weald, of which its southern side forms a part. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Sutton-Valence, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, contains monuments to the Filmer family. There is an infant school. Sir Edmund Filmer, Bart., M.P., whose seat is East Sutton Place, is lord of the manor and owner of the soil."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]