"EAST WICKHAM, a parish in the hundred of Lessness, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 2 miles S.E. of Woolwich, and 10 from London. The parish, which includes part of the hamlet of Welling, is situated on the high-road from London to Dartford and Dover. A large portion of the land and tithes belong to the Chatham Chest, to which they were given by Admiral Sir John Hawkins in the reign of Elizabeth. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value £180. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, contains two brasses, one of John de Blendon, dated 1325, and the other of W. Payn and his wives, 1568, and some old wall paintings. The charities produce about £150 per annum, including £90, the endowment of Forster's school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]