"EASTLING, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 4 miles S.W. of Faversham, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Lanham. It is situated on the road between these two places, at the former of which there is a station, on the South-Eastern line. The surface is hilly, and the larger portion of the parish arable, with some woodland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £500, in the patronage of the Earl of Winchilsea. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has been restored and beautified. It has a tower, with a peal of six bells. The parochial charities amount to about £7 per annum. Lord Harris and Benjamin Leese, Esq., are the lords of the manor and principal owners of the soil. A fair is held on the 14th of September."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]