"EBONY, a parish chiefly in the hundred of Oxney, lathe of Shepway, but also partly in the hundred of Tenterden, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 2 miles W. of Appledore, the nearest railway station on the South-Eastern line, and 4 S.E. of Tenterden, its post town. It is situated on the river Rother, and the Grand Military canal passes through that part of it which is in the lathe of Scray. The village is small, and the land chiefly in pasture. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Appledore, in the diocese of Canterbury, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, a small structure, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated just within the border of Romney Marsh, on a mound, supposed to be artificial."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]