"EGERTON, a parish in the hundred of Calehill, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 3 miles S.W. of Charing, and 7 N.W. of Ashford, its post town. The Pluckley station on the South-Eastern railway is about 4 miles S. of the village. The principal produce is hops. Near the village is a petrifying spring. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, value £111, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is a fine ancient structure, recently restored. It is dedicated to St. James. The register commences in 1684. The charities produce about £2 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. There is a fair on the 5th August for hardware goods, toys, &c."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]