"ELMSTED, a parish in the lathe of Shepway, hundred of Stouting, county Kent, 7 miles N.E. of Ashford, its post town, and 5 E. of Wye, the nearest railway station on the Canterbury branch of the South-Eastern line. Hops are much cultivated, and there is a considerable tract of common. The parish is well wooded. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £80, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. James, and contains several monumental tablets. There is a free school, supported by Sir Courtney Honeywood, Bart., whose seat is Evington, in this parish."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]