"ELMSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Preston, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 5 miles N.W. of Sandwich, 6 E. of Canterbury, and 2 N. of Wingham, its post town. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The soil is generally fertile, and hops are cultivated. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £240. The church is a small structure, with square tower built of flint. It stands on an eminence, and has been recently repaired. The register commences in 1552."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]