Hide

Eltham

hide
Hide
"ELTHAM, a parish in the hundred of Blackheath, Sutton-at-Hone lathe, county Kent, 2 miles S. of Woolwich, and 8 S.E. of London, of which it is a suburb. It is situated on the road from London to Maidstone,-S. of Shooter's Hill, which is included in the parish, and the extra-parochial hamlet of Mottingham joins it to the S. of Eltham church. The nearest railway station is Lewisham, on the North Kent line, about 2 miles W. of the town. This was formerly a market town, and is of ancient date. In the Domesday Survey it is called Alteham; and a palace was built here about the 12th century, which was the occasional abode of royalty from the time of Henry III. to the reign of Queen Mary. Edward II. had a son born here, and in the reign of Edward III. parliaments were held. Eltham is within the Metropolitan Police district, and jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court. The town is clean, well paved, and lighted with gas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London, value £355. The church is a plain edifice dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and contains monuments of the Shaw family. In the churchyard were interred Bishop Horne; Sir William Baines, Bart.; and Doggett, the comedian, whose bequest of a coat and badge is annually contended for on the 1st August by six young watermen of the river Thames. Christ Church, a modern structure in the early English style, is a district church at Shooter's Hill. The charitable endowments of the parish produce altogether about £560 per annum, the principal of which are Passey's almhouses, with £235, Philpot's, £166, and Leggatt's school bequest of £24. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a chapel, and there is a National school for boys and girls; also an infant school. There are some remains of the ancient palace, consisting for the most part of the great hall, some walls, parts of windows, and underground passages. Eltham Park and Eltham Place are the principal residences."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Eltham which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

"MOTTINGHAM, a hamlet chiefly in the parish of Eltham, hundred of Blackheath, and lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, but partly in the parish of Chiselhurst, hundred of Ruxley, county Kent, 3 miles S. of Woolwich, 1 mile S. of Eltham Church, and 8 S.E. of London. It is situated on the road leading from London to Bromley. The village, which is small, is under the jurisdiction of the Woolwich and Central Criminal Courts."

"SHOOTER'S HILL, a hamlet in the borough of Greenwich, locally in Blackheath hundred, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 1 mile S. of Woolwich, and 9 miles E. of London. The hill, which was formerly thickly wooded, is 410 feet high, and has on its summit Severndroog Tower. The supply of water for Woolwich is drawn from here."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Eltham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ426744 (Lat/Lon: 51.450635, 0.050808), Eltham which are provided by: