"EYNESFORD, a parish in the hundred of Axton, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 5 miles S.W. of Dartford, its post town, and 8 N. of Sevenoaks. It is situated on tin river Darent, and is a station on the London, Chatham; and Dover railway. The principal employment is in the manufacture of paper, several mills for which are in operation. On the E. side of the river, which passes through this place, the soil is a strong clay, alternating with shingle and flints; on the western side it is of superior quality. The surface is very hilly, and the scenery pleasing, with nearly 500 acres of woodland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £410, in the patronage of the archbishop. There is a district church at Crocken Hill, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is a cruciform structure in the early Norman style of architecture, with an ancient doorway of singular workmanship, supposed to be Saxon. It has a tower at the W. end surmounted by a spire, and is dedicated to St. Martin. The register commences in 1538. The parochial endowments produce about £50 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel, and there are National and British schools for boys and girls. In the vicinity of the village are some remains of a castle, said to have been built about the time of the Conquest."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]