"FAVERSHAM, (anciently Fifresham), a parish, seaport, market town, municipal borough, and member of the Cinque Port of Dover, in the hundred and union of Faversham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 7 miles S.W. of Whitstable, 9 W. of Canterbury, and 47 from London by the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, on which it is a station. It is situated on a stream running into the East Swale, to the left of the road from London to Dover, and is approached from the sea by a creek which is navigable up to the town for vessels of 150 tons. This creek has cost £33,000 in improvements, and is under the government of a board of 67 commissioners. A branch of the London and Chatham line now runs to the creek, which has 11 feet of water at the sluice-bridge at ordinary spring-tides. Faversham is a rapidly-improving place, having increased from 4,907, in 1851, to 6,376, in 1861. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]