"FORDWICH, a parish and member of the town and port of Sandwich, in the hundred of Downhamford, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2 miles N.E. of Canterbury, its post town, and 1 mile S. of the Sturry station on the South-Eastern railway. The village, which is situated on the river Stour, is a subport of Sandwich Cinque Port, and is mentioned in Domesday Book. A considerable shipping trade was formerly carried on here, but has much declined, being now confined to a few small vessels in the coal and grain trade. The corporate body of Fordwich consisted of a mayor, jurats, a common council, steward, treasurer, and town clerk. The mayor, who by virtue of his office was also coroner, and the jurats, who were justices, had the privilege of holding a general session of the peace and gaol delivery, together with a court of record. There is good trout-fishing in the Stour, which is navigable as far as the bridge, and on its banks are several extensive flour-mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £178. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and has a brass of the 17th century. The Cowpers take the title of viscount from this place."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]