"GOODNESTONE, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 2 miles E. of Faversham, its post town and railway station. The parish is situated in the vicinity of the river Swale, and includes the small hamlets of Fairbrook, Oakwell, and Way-street. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £160. The living is a rectory in the dioc, of Canterbury, value with the vicarage of Graveney annexed, £400, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is a small ancient structure, dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The register commences in 1769. The parochial charities, including endowment to almshouses, produce about £45 per annum. There is a parochial school for this and the adjoining parish of Graveney."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]