"GRAVENEY, a parish in the hundred of Boughton-under-Blean, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 2 miles N.E. of Faversham, its post town, and 5 S.W. of Whitstable. It is situated on the S. bank and near the mouth of the river Swale. The parish includes the hamlets of Broom-street, Nagden, and Sandbanks. In the early part of the 9th century it was purchased by Archbishop Wilfrid, and in the Domesday Survey is set down as belonging to Lanfranc, then Archbishop of Canterbury. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Goodnestone, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to All Saints. It contains some very old brasses of the Faversham, Dodds, Martyn, and other families. There are charities of about £11 yearly value."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]