"GRAVESEND, a parish, municipal borough, market and post town, in the hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 22 miles S.E. of London by road, or 31 by water. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Thames, opposite Tilbury Fort, and has railway communication with the metropolis by the North Kent line, and up the N. or Essex side of the river by the Tilbury and Southend line, there being a steam ferry between Tilbury and Gravesend; and steamboats ply several times daily both up and down the river. ... More"
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]