"GREAT MONGEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 2 miles S.W. of Deal, its post town. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The space in the centre of the village is still called the market-place, having been a market town of distinction in the reign of Henry III., though the market has long been discontinued. The land is partly in hop-grounds. There is a large brewery and malting establishment. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £500. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £469, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is an ancient and spacious structure with a lofty square tower clothed in ivy. There is a village school, chiefly supported by the rector. A fair is held on the 29th October for cattle and pedlery."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]