"HACKINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Westgate, lathe of St. Augustine, county Kent, 1 mile N. of Canterbury. It is the Latintone of Domesday Survey. A portion of the parish is within the municipal boundaries of the city of Canterbury. The village is small, and chiefly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £620. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £412, in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is a handsome cruciform building, part built by Archbishop Baldwin, and part by Sir R. Manwood. It contains a handsome monument to the memory of Sir Roger Manwood, who, in 1592, gave to the vicar the great tithes, and also endowed six tenements for aged people, now called Manwood's Hospital, which has a revenue of £26 per annum. The other charities produce about £15 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]