"HALSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of Codsheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 6 miles N.W. of Sevenoaks, and 18 from London. The parish is small, and the village wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £184, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient structure, containing two brasses of W. Burys, 1444. In the chancel is a piscina, partly screened by the altar. At the W. end is the tower, crowned with a spire. There is a free school. Broke House is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]