"HARRIETSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 7 miles E. of Maidstone, and 6 N. of Headcom railway station. It is situated at the foot of the chalk hills, on the river Len, near its confluence with the Medway. The soil is chalk, clay, and sandy. Stede Hill, the residence of Edmund Pepys, Esq., is situated on an eminence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £452, in the patronage of All Souls' College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing eight bells. There are some monuments of the Stede family. The church has lately been enlarged. The register dates from the time of Queen Elizabeth. There is a National school with a small endowment. The parochial charities produce £104 per annum, of which £67 goes to Booth's school. There are several almshouses. W. W. T. Baldwin, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]