"HARTLIP, a parish in the hundred of Milton, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 6 miles E. of Rochester, and S.W. of Sittingbourne. It Adjoins Newington, where there is a station on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. At Danesfield in this parish Roman tiles have been found, and in 1849 the remains of a villa with vases, coins, &c., which are in the possession of Mr. Bland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £210, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient cruciform structure, with square tower containing six bells. The church contains two side chapels. In one of them is a handsome font. The register dates from the reign of Edward VI. There is a chapel for Bible Christians. The free school was rebuilt in 1865, at the sole expense of W. Bland, Esq., J.P. The parochial charities produce £64 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]