"HARTY, a parish in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 4 miles from Faversham, and 11 S.E. of Queenborough. It is separated from the Isle of Sheppey, of which it once formed part, by a small creek, and from the parish of Oare by the East Swale, which is navigable, and across which is a ferry to Care, of about 2 miles, at high water. The greater portion of the land is the property of the Hilton family, and is divided into several farms, called Sayls Court, Elliots, Longwood, Mockett, and Wottons. The arable land produces large quantities of wheat, oats, &c., and the pastures support large flocks of sheep. In the Swale are oyster beds. The village consists of a few farmhouses and cottages. The living is a perpetual curacy united to the vicarage of Leysdown, and valued at £55. The church, a small ancient structure with open roof and a pointed W. turret, is dedicated to St. Thomas the Apostle, and has a small chapel attached."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]