"HASTINGLEIGH, a parish in the barony and liberty of Bircholt, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 7 miles E. of Ashford. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The land is distributed into arable, pasture, and woodland, with a considerable extent of hop plantation and garden ground. The tithes have been commuted for £231. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, consolidated with the vicarage of Elmstead, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a square tower and steeple."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]