"HERNHILL, a parish in the hundred of Boughton-under-Blean, lathe of Scray, county Kent, 3 miles E. of Faversham, its post town, 6 S. of Whitstable, and 6 N.W. of Canterbury. The village, which is small, is situated to the N. of Watling Street. The land is partly in hop-grounds and orchards. In that part of the parish adjoining the Blean woods is some fine old timber. The soil varies from stiff clay to light sand. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £292, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a tower containing five bells, and a beacon turret at its southern angle. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a parochial school, and a chapel for the Wesleyans. The Archbishop of Canterbury is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]