"HINXHILL, a parish in the hundred of Chart, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 3 miles S.E. of Ashford, its railway station and post town. It is a small village, situated near the Canterbury railway, and was anciently called Hengestelle. In the year 1727 a subterraneous fire occurred in the valley between Godcheap in this parish and that of Wye, consuming 3 acres of land, and lasting six weeks. The land is partly in hops. The parish is of small extent, and the village comprises only a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £195 10s. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £187. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Mary. The register dates from 1570. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]