"HOLLINGBOURNE, a parish in the hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 5 miles E. of Maidstone,' its railway station and post town. It is called Hollingeborde in Domesday Survey, and was then held, as now, by the archbishops of Canterbury. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with a considerable extent of woodland. The soil is particularly favourable to the growth of corn and hops. The union poorhouse is situated a short distance from the turnpike road leading from Maidstone to Ashford. The union comprises 23 parishes. Here are flour-mills and brick and tile kilns. A portion of the land is in hop-grounds. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £647 10s., and the vicarial for £325. The living is a vicarage with that of Huckinge annexed, in the diocese of Canterbury, value together £430, in the patronage of the Archbishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice with a low square tower containing a clock and one bell. The charities produce about £122, of which £100 goes to the relief of the poor. Here is an endowed National school for both sexes. The Dean and Chapter of Canterbury are lords of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]