"HORTON KIRBY, a parish in the hundred of Axton, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 5 miles S.E. of Dartford, its post town, and half a mile from the Farningham Road station. It is a small village situated on the river Darent, and on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway. It contains the hamlets of Dean-Bottom, Pinder, and part of South Darenth. Here are the ruins of the castle of the Bosses, founded by them at the time of the Conquest, and restored by the Kirkbys, who built Kirkby Court. At South Darenth, in this parish, are extensive papermills, giving employment to a large number of persons. The land is chiefly arable and partly in hops. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £265. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury, value £214. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient cruciform structure, with modern tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of the Bathursts of Franks. The parochial charities produce about £17 per annum, independent of a share with Farningham. Franks is the principal residence, near to which is Reynold's Place, now a farmhouse."
"DEANE BOTTOM, a hamlet in the parish of Horton Kirby, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, in the county of Kent, 2½ miles S. of Dartford, and 2¼ S.E. of Speedgate."
"PINDEN, a hamlet in the parish of Horton-Kirby, hundred of Axton, and lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, county Kent, 3 miles S. of Dartford."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]