"HOTHFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Chart, lathe of Shepway, county Kent, 3 miles N.W. of Ashford, its post town, and 3 N.E. of the Pluckley railway station, on the South-Eastern line, which runs through the parish. The village, which is small, is bounded on the S. by the river Stour, and formerly belonged to the archbishops of Canterbury. It was given by Henry VIII. to the Tuftons. Jack Cade's field is in this parish, where he was arrested by Sheriff Iden in 1450, whose sword, until lately, was kept in the church. The land is partly in hop grounds. The surface is in general level, and the country open pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £243. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small structure with a tower. The church was partly destroyed by fire in 1624. The register dates from 1570. There are several small charities, also Tufton's almshouses. Hothfield Park is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]