"HUNTON, a parish in the hundred of Twyford, lathe of Aylesford, county Kent, 5 miles S.W. of Maidstone, its post town, 3 E. of the Yalding station on the North Kent railway, and 4 from the Harden station on the South-Eastern railway. The village is situated near the confluence of the rivers Beult and Teise with the Medway. It was formerly a market town under the Lenhams, from whom it passed to the Giffords, Clintons of Court Lodge, and thence to the Wyatts, &c. The laid is partly in hop grounds and orchards for the supply of the London markets. The surface is diversified with hills, and the soil clayey. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £900. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, value £783, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a small square tower. The church has tombs of the Fanes of Burston. The register dates from 1639. The parochial charities produce about £30, with a sum for the erection of a school bequeathed by Bishop Porteus. There are spacious National schools erected at the expense of Henry Bannerman, Esq., who is lord of the manor. Hunton Court, a mansion situated in a well-timbered park, is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2010]